Friday, August 28, 2015

Accessorizing Colonial

After making my new block print jacket, I turned to some more block printed muslin Amber had given me. There wasn't enough to get another jacket, so I did a little piecing to get a large enough piece for a neckerchief. I love how much something so small can brighten up a whole outfit! And I totally love block printed muslin. It's so beautiful! :)
It's a half square, cut on the diagonal, and the edge is hand-hemmed with a tiny rolled hem. A super simple, but also highly gratifying project! :)

Monday, August 24, 2015

18th Century || Block-printed Muslin Jacket


When Amber comes over and says, "I brought you some fabric", you know it's gonna be amazing.

Amber has become an extremely dear friend of mine - I've known about her for years, and we attended many events together in the past, but it's only been in the last year that we've become really close. We're both 2nd born in the family, super enthusiastic, and artsy. She is one of the most encouraging people I know, wise beyond her years, and always so ready to listen when I'm having a rough time, and point me back to God when I lose my focus.
On top of all that, she's an amazing seamstress, with tons of knowledge about period correct clothing, quality fabrics, and technique.
One day she came over for one of our in-house English Country Dances (my sister and I frequently host informal dances at our house), and brought a stash of fabric. My mind of course started swimming with ideas of what I could make, and here I give you the first of many outfits from the "Amazing Amber Fabric Collection."

This is my first completely hand-sewn 18th century garment. I wanted to hand-sew my previous clothes, but our trips that require new outfits usually spring out of nowhere, leaving me less than a week to get things together, so I never had the time to actually get them done. This time though, I didn't have a specific occasion in mind, so I could take my time, and hand-stitch away.
 There wasn't a ton of fabric with which to work, but I managed to get a jacket out of it. I couldn't quite use the same pattern I've used in the past, so I altered it slightly. To get a full peplum, I put in godets at the side and side back seams. I also had the back seam come to a point, rather than a curve, and split it at the peplum. I used this jacket as inspiration for the peplum back.
 Otherwise it's just a typical jacket, which closes with straight pins down the front. It is lined with white linen, though I left the sleeves un-lined - partly because I didn't want the extra bulk, as my shift has very full sleeves, and partly because I didn't want to use more fabric. :) I may trim this jacket later on, but for now, I'm liking it just plain.
The front slits are bound with bias binding made out of the same fabric.
 I think the lines of the seaming on the back are my favorite part of colonial jackets!
I like that it can be paired with all of my petticoats - brown, blue, and white. Hopefully I'll add more to my petticoat collection down the road, but for now, it is both a pretty and practical edition to my 18th century wardrobe! :) Plus it adds some print, among a bunch of solid colored jackets. :)
Thanks, Amber!! You're amazing!
 

Copyright © 2010 A Lass of Yesteryear . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com