I hesitated on putting this up on my blog, given that I usually sew old-fashioned "cute" clothes, but when I started to do this, I hopped on Pinterest to get some ideas of what to do with the jersey and found NONE, so hopefully this will be helpful for anyone else who wants remake a baseball jersey.
(No, you do NOT need to remind me that the Cubs just beat the Sox... I already know)
My dad found a White Sox jersey at our local Ross (discount store). It was too small for him, and the last one there, so he picked it up for me. I was happy to finally have a jersey to wear, but it looked terrible on me! I looked like a boy, felt like a boy, and I just couldn't think of wearing that baggy thing in public. :)
So I threw it in my pile of clothes to remake, and there it sat all winter. Until yesterday when I wanted a quick project to sew, since I was "feeling the itch". As I said, I hunted around on Pinterest for ideas, and found nothing, so I just came up with the idea myself.
(and yes, I know Quentin is not on the team anymore... why else do you think it was at a discount store?)
I'll write this in tutorial format (minus the photos... 'cuz I'm too lazy to take photos while I'm working).
1. I first ripped out the top stitching along the facing of the collar. The arm hole was way to low, so I wanted to pull up the shoulder seam to help with that.
2. I took the shoulder seam and sleeve in about 1 1/2", just a straight line across from the neck to the sleeve edge.
3. Then I cut off the top buttons and made the neckline a deeper V. After pulling the shoulder seam up, it was practically a turtleneck, so I definitely needed to do something to it. I just did a direct line from the shoulder seam front to the second button/button hole and stitched along that line, trimmed the access, and turned the facing back in.
4. I re-top-stitched the facing.
5. Then I pulled in the side seam about 1 1/2" on either side at the waist, and curving the seam to create an "hour-glass" shape.
6. I did darts on the front, since it still needed a little shaping. They were 4" long, not tapered... more like "box-darts".
7. Finally, I cut the sleeves off so they were 2" long on the shoulder and 1" long under the arm, with a 1" hem, double stitched.
All the seams were trimmed and zig-zaged to finish them.
And Ta-Da! A much more feminine jersey!
And if you want to be a little more stylish, you can add a belt:
:) Thanks for stopping by!