Tuesday, January 24, 2012
In between working on Josh's colonial outfit, I've worked on my 1912 corset and today I nearly finished it! I only have to hand-sew on the trimming and put in the eyelets, and it'll be finished!!
I intended to do a pretty light floral print fabric, but couldn't find anything that I liked at the store for a good price, and time was running out (sort of....you could just say that I was getting impatient), so I pulled out the white cotton duck left over from the regency stays and set to work. But I couldn't do just white, so I used a muted robin's egg blue (description by my sister... I couldn't think of a good way to describe it) bias tape and some white lace to trim the edges and make it look pretty. :)
What made me really excited was I got to use a busk for the first time. I've made corsets in the past, but just used large coat hooks and boning to close it, which left a 1/2" gap in the front and was rather uncomfortable. I ordered the busk from Corset Making Supplies, and it shipped very fast, that I didn't have time to get impatient. :) I also got the lacing for it there and an awl, another corset making tool I had never used. It works great!
I'll be posting more finished photos once all the hand-sewing is done! And stay tuned for a post on Josh's "Patrick Henry" outfit, which has taken up most of my sewing time these past few weeks! You may only get sneak peaks of it though, because to see it in full, you'll want to be at this conference!