...if you use the right pattern.
I made this dress a couple years ago, and loved it because it was so simple.
But I soon realized it wasn't the "perfect" dress because it had some major issues. The dress was a wrap dress, so there was a "hole" for the neck, and then the front piece buttoned in the back, and the back went over that and closed in the front. The front layer was very narrow, while the back was very full, so when the wind hit the wrong way, the back layer sort of disappeared:
Under the arm often gapped and left no under-arm coverage, since it was a wrap dress:
And the neckline was very wide, so one could fit their head through it, but that also meant that it gapped in the front whenever you moved your arms:
As you might have guessed, I barely wore that dress because of the issues. So this past week I decided to re-make it to be more practical.
This isn't a '50's pattern, but I used the same skirt pattern as the first dress to make it look a bit more '50's.
The pattern needed a few adjustments - as I said, I used a wider skirt pattern, and I added a front modesty panel to cover up the v-neck. I also didn't want a zipper down the back, as the pattern said, so I put it in on the side instead.
The front is pleated and criss-crosses into a v-neck.
I also made a crinoline out of an old poodle-skirt girls' pattern that I've had since I was 6. :) It needed a lot of adjusting, but worked out fine. There is a ruffle of tulle to help it poof a little, and fishing line alone the seam to help it keep shape.
Much more practical and cuter in my opinion too! :) Never throw out a dress - just remake it!
Thanks for stopping by!